[DRBD-user] Reproduceable error - creating a single directory causes drbd to fail

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Feb 9 00:56:40 CET 2007

/ 2007-02-08 18:17:20 -0500
\ Dan Gahlinger:
> Lars, could be.
>
> I meant "no" in that one point.
>
> I was able to "fix" the problem. By changing the metadisk to a device
> instead of internal.
> mkdir does not show the same problem.
>
> btw mystery piece, when I use Reiser or XFS, I can't get drbd to work.
> always get an error.
> I'll scan through the logs and see what I can find, the config is pretty
> basic.
>
> Take the drbd.conf from the same (share/packages...etc) and make only minor
> changes, thus:
>
> on amd {
>    device     /dev/drbd0;
>    disk       /dev/sda3;
>    address    192.168.22.11:7788;
>    meta-disk  internal;
> }
>
> I entered a "fake" second system (whether I do it with the systems connected
> or not made no difference so I'm just trying to simply it), as I'm trying to
> only make it work on one system for now.
> then I used:
> /etc/init.d/drbd start
> drdbsetup /dev/drbd0 primary --do-what-I-say
> mount /dev/drbd0 /test
> cd /test
> tar -xvf /test.tar

so. you use internal drbd metadata,
but you created the file system on the lower level device.

ho hum.  no further comment.
I guess you get to it sooner or later :->

I give you one further hint:
in the kernel log, just before ext3 will remount readonly,
it will say "access beyond end of device".

> >never heard of what you describe,
> >unless it was user error -- or bad hardware.

 :-/

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :