[DRBD-user] MySQL-over-DRBD Performance

Art Age Software artagesw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 01:41:37 CET 2007

I have run some additional tests:

1) Disabled bonding on the network interfaces (both nodes). No
significant change.

2) Changed the DRBD communication interface. Was using a direct
crossover connection between the on-board NICs of the servers. I
switched to Intel Gigabit NIC cards in both machines, connecting
through a Gigabit switch. No significant change.

3) Ran a file copy from node1 to node2 via scp. Even with the
additional overhead of scp, I get a solid 65 MB/sec. throughput.

So, at this stage I have seemingly ruled out:

1) Slow IO subsystem (both machines measured and check out fine).

2) Bonding driver (additional latency)

3) On-board  NICs (hardware/firmware problem)

4) Network copy speed.

What's left?  I'm stumped as to why DRBD can only do about 3.5 BM/sec.
on this very fast hardware.

Sam