[DRBD-user] Version Confusion

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Thu Dec 6 16:47:58 CET 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 14:05:56 Paul Court wrote:
> Can someone clarify the versioning system of DRBD. After reading
> Florians blog I am confident that 8.1 is the branch that is being preped
> for inclusion into Linux, but should I be using the 8.0.x branch or the
> 8.2.x branch on my systems?
>
> I am currently setting up and testing a new rollout so I have no issues
> with backwards compatibility. This is the first of our clusters that
> will be using DRBD.
>
> We are using it with MySQL so I was particularly focused on the fact
> that MySQL had helped a lot with the development of the new network
> checksum feature in 8.2, but I thought that 8.2 was the development
> branch and 8.0 the stable branch.
>
> Can someone clarify this for me?

Hi,

I just updated http://www.drbd.org/releases.html .

8.x.y runs only on Linux-2.6.x.

8.0.y
Is frozen an only receives bug fixes. The wire protocol is frozen as well.

8.1
Is functional equivalent to 8.0.y, but closer to Linux's coding style and without
our compatibility layers to run on older 2.6.x kernels. This is what we suggest for
Linux-mainline inclusion.

8.2.y
Receives new features, and all bugfixes of 8.0. The protocol might get extended with
new releases. The idea is to have here the same development model as is used for the
Linux-2.6 kernel. We include new features, and try to get have it stable at the same
time.

All 8.x.y releases are protocol compatible

It is up to you if you got with the deeply frozen drbd-8.0.x or with the
feature enriched drbd-8.2.x. They are protocol compatible, so up and down
grading is always possible, as "roling upgrade".

drbd-8.2.2 (which will be released RSN) will have the online verify
feature...

-Phil
: Vivenotgasse 48, 1120 Vienna, Austria        http://www.linbit.com :