[DRBD-user] Re: DRBD resize errors

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 24 21:43:17 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 11:37:10AM +0100, Irvine, Doug - Corporate Core - ICT Services wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a number of secondary schools which use a RHEL3 pair of servers
> as their internet cache.
>

> Unfortunately the initial disk allocation has proved to be too small in
> the / partition.
>

> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda3             10394720   3245996   6620852  33% /
> /dev/sda1               198321     25640    162442  14% /boot
> none                   1282636         0   1282636   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/drbd0            62669424     55076  59430904   1% /data
>

> I recently used gparted to resize the disks.
>
> This all seemed to work fine initially, but now we get errors in
> /var/log/messages saying the OS is trying to write off the end of the
> device.
>
> I have :
>
> On the standby server
>     #drbdadm disconnect all
>     #mke2fs /dev/sda2 - reports correct disk allocation

if you do a new mkfs, this has absolutely nothing to do with resizing.

>     #drbdadm connect all - do same on primary node
>     #drbdadm invalidate all

if /dev/sda2 is the "lower level disk" of drbd0,
DO NOT: mke2fs /dev/sda2.
DO: mke2fs -j /dev/drbd0.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network.drbd/12690/focus=12692
may help to understand what is going on.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :