[DRBD-user] [LVM2 + DRBD + Xen + DRBD 8.0] error on dom0 (thephysical server) and on domU (the virtual machine)

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Aug 16 16:34:07 CEST 2007

Yes, I came across this error in programming myself when
developing a block layer device handler for IET.

To give an idea how I implemented it to get the max performance
of the underlying block device, which I think should work in
almost all standard block layer drivers.

1) Get the largest # of vectors/segments/pages the underlying
block device can handle via bio_get_nr_vecs()

        if (bdev_q)
                max_pages = bio_get_nr_vecs(bio_data->bdev);

2) Allocate a work structure to keep track of the bios in
flight. This will be used in the endio helper to issue
completion.

        tio_work = kzalloc(sizeof (*tio_work), GFP_KERNEL);
        if (!tio_work)
                return -ENOMEM;

        atomic_set(&tio_work->error, 0);
        atomic_set(&tio_work->bios_remaining, 0);
        init_completion(&tio_work->tio_complete);

3) Loop through the data pages allocating them to bios in chunks
of up to the size the device or kernel can handle, issuing all bios
first before submission and keeping track of them using the bios
linked list.

        /* Main processing loop, allocate and fill all bios */
        while (tio_index < tio->pg_cnt) {
                bio = bio_alloc(GFP_KERNEL, min(max_pages, BIO_MAX_PAGES));
                if (!bio) {
                        err = -ENOMEM;
                        goto out;
                }

                bio->bi_sector = ppos >> volume->blk_shift;
                bio->bi_bdev = bio_data->bdev;
                bio->bi_end_io = blockio_bio_endio;
                bio->bi_private = tio_work;
                if (tio_bio)
                        biotail = biotail->bi_next = bio;
                else
                        tio_bio = biotail = bio;

                atomic_inc(&tio_work->bios_remaining);

                /* Loop for filling bio */
                while (tio_index < tio->pg_cnt) {
                        unsigned int bytes = PAGE_SIZE - offset;

                        if (bytes > size)
                                bytes = size;

                        if (!bio_add_page(bio, tio->pvec[tio_index], bytes, offset))
                                break;

                        size -= bytes;
                        ppos += bytes;

                        offset = 0;

                        tio_index++;
                }
        }

4) Walk the submission list in a tight loop to get all the bios on the
queue as quickly as possible to take advantage of any further queue
optimizations. Don't be tempted to submit the whole linked list down
as it can cause some underlying devices to choke as it hints to the
queue that all the bios should be merged.

        /* Walk the list, submitting bios 1 by 1 */
        while (tio_bio) {
                bio = tio_bio;
                tio_bio = tio_bio->bi_next;
                bio->bi_next = NULL;

                submit_bio(rw, bio);
        }

5) Unplug the queue and let it do it's work

        if (bdev_q && bdev_q->unplug_fn)
                bdev_q->unplug_fn(bdev_q);

6) Wait for the work to complete before returning status.

        wait_for_completion(&tio_work->tio_complete);

        err = atomic_read(&tio_work->error);

        kfree(tio_work);

        return err;

This process should provide the best performance/compatibility with
the majority (if not all) of underlying block devices.

-Ross