[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.0.5 Installation in RHEL 5

Rui Meireles rmeireles at tec.dsr.telecom.pt
Wed Aug 8 14:59:28 CEST 2007

Hi. I'm trying to install DRBD 8.0.5 in RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.

I can't find rpms for this distribution, so I downloaded drbd-8.0.5tar.gz

I had the original OS kernel 2.6.18-8.el5xen. I then used Package Updater to
update no a newer kernel 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5xen.

Theses files are located here:

/boot/xen.gz-2.6.18-8.el5

/boot/xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5

Since I haven't compiled my kernel, I thought I could just do "make clean
all" to install DRBD. But this appears:

SORRY, kernel makefile not found. You need to tell me a correct KDIR!

make: *** [greeting] Error 1

It's trying to find the toplevel makefile of kernel source tree in
/lib/modules/2.6.18-8.1.8.el5xen/build.

This is a link to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-8.1.8.el5-xen-x86_64. But
/usr/src/kernels/ doesn't even exist!

What must I do to install DRBD? Compile a new kernel? Please help me, as I
don't understand these kernel stuff.

Thanks a lot!