[DRBD-user] DRBD across subnets

Jeff Buck jeffb at umci.com
Tue Apr 24 00:05:41 CEST 2007

Can you ping the other machine?

AFAIK drbd doesn't need anything special, but you do need working IP.
Maybe you just need to add a route on each of the boxes so they know
where to find the other machine.

There are endless resources on how to route ip out there on the
internet, but basically, you probably want a route on each machine for
the subnet of the other machine, and that route should point to the
machine in it's own subnet that knows where to find the machines on the
other subnet. You also of course don't want anything filtering your drbd
data out in between them either..

Machine a: 192.168.1.5
Machine b: 192.168.2.5
Router  1: 192.168.1.1 && 192.168.2.1 + ->internet

Machine a: "route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw
192.168.1.1"

Machine b: "route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw
192.168.2.1"

If you have any NAT or filtering going on things get more complicated..

If the machines are physically close to each other, you're probably
better off giving them their own private network (could be just a
crossover cable) just for their communication with each other. My guess
is that's what most people do with drbd.

My apologies if this was a little too fundamental, but the WFConnection
just sounds like the machines have no IP between them. If you can ping
though, and there is nothing to filter your packets, then it should
work. Speed is always an issue though, so through a wan can really hurt
your performance.

-Jeff