[DRBD-user] BLKFLSBUF: Inappropriate ioctl for device (when executing blockdev --flushbufs)

Werner Fischer werner.fischer at fh-hagenberg.at
Wed Sep 27 16:56:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

I tried to execute the the commands contained in /etc/ha.d/haresources
manually one by one, an discovered that executing
"/etc/ha.d/resource.d/Filesystem /dev/drbd0 /vz ext3 start" for example
gives the following output: "BLKFLSBUF: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

The Filesystem script comes with Heartbeat, the command within the
Filesystem script which actually leads to this output is
"/sbin/blockdev --flushbufs /dev/drbd0"

Do I get this output because DRBD itself has no buffers like a normal
hard disk has?

Would it make sense that DRBD itself forwards such a command to flush
the buffers to DRBD's lower devices (on node1 and node2) - so that the
lower devices flushes the buffer?

Greetings,
Werner