[DRBD-user] DRBD State Confusion

Usman Ahmad usmanamalik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 17:25:18 CEST 2006

Hi Tim,

Yes, I really rurned one of the servers off?
The primary server waited for some time on boot up and then came up.
I want the auto-failback on ? do we have a solution to this?
Yes, the servers were connected, even if I shutdown the heratbeat the disk
is shifted to the secondary server, but they remain in standalone mode, the
drbd can talk to each other as the (Secondary server) changed states from
primary/unknown to secondary/unkown. but remain standalone. I do not
understand why? can't find much in the logs, what thing should I look for
specifically?

Is it ok to start the heartbeat and the drbd processes at boot time
automatically?

Regards
Usman

On 9/15/06, Tim Jackson <lists at timj.co.uk> wrote:

> Usman Ahmad wrote:
>
> > I am using DRBD for synching two disks using 0.7.21.
> > When primary server is shutdown,
>
> Really turned off?
>
> > the secondary goes into a state of primary/unknown, this is OK, but when
> the
> > primary is switched back on,  it takes the state primary/unknown,
>
> a) Did the primary wait on bootup? Normally (depending on what packaging
> you are using/how DRBD is installed) it will hang during the init
> process until either the secondary node shows up, or you tell it to stop
> waiting (which shouldn't be done unless you're sure that's what you want)
>
> b) turn auto_failback to OFF in Heartbeat (ha.cf). It confuses things
> and is not normally required with DRBD.
>
> c) are you sure the machines are still connected properly (check
> firewalling etc.). This sounds like split brain.
>
> > and the secondary goes into  secondary/unknown, why they are not able to
> sync again?
>
> Look at your logs. They will tell you why.
>
> > Does this require any change in the parameters (time etc.)?
>
> Nothing to do with time.
>
> Tim

Usman Ahmad Malik