[DRBD-user] Question about using DRBD

Sudhakar Mekathotti mekats at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:45:12 CEST 2006

On 9/12/06, Tony's Linux <linux at oaktechnologies.com.au> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 20:29, KOZMAN Balint wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Tony's Linux wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > I want to use drbd for Samba and Samba already sits on /var/lib/samba in
> > > SuSe 10.1.
> > > I created a new partition /dev/hda6 which i would like to use for Samba
> > > only. A few qusestion come to mind:
> > >
> > > 1. What happens if there are already some files in that
> > > directory,ie., /var/lib/samba ?
> >
> > Well, nothing until /var/lib/samba and /dev/hda6 have nothing in common.
> > Once you decide to use /dev/hda6 as part of a drbd array, you will need
> > to mount /var/lib/samba there. But you will never need to access /dev/hda6
> > directly, as drbd will hide the underlying devices, so you'll want to
> > mount the "upper" drbd device.
> >

> understand this bit.
>
> > > 2. Will drbd handle files which are already in that directory ?  Or do i
> > > have to back it up and then copied it into the directory ?
> >
> > Definetly not. Before creating a drbd md, take care of backuping your data
> > first.
>
> So the existing data will not not replicated ? is this right ?

1. Configure and setup drbd for /dev/hda6
2. Temporarily mount /dev/drbd0 on some directory, for example, /mnt/temp
3. move all files under /var/lib/samba to /mnt/temp
4. unmount /mnt/temp
5. mount /dev/drbd0 on /var/lib/samba and you're done.

from then onwards, any changes to /var/lib/samba will be replicated.

HTH
suds.