[DRBD-user] DRBD - UUID

Milind Dumbare milind at linsyssoft.com
Mon Sep 11 09:40:43 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 17:32 +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2006-09-08 19:03:13 +0530
> \ Milind Dumbare:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	I have read the document drbd8_wpnr.pdf. As far I could understand in
> > 5.3 section you have described UUID values are written as ordered
> > quadruples <current,bitmap,history1,history2>, so history1 is for Node2
> > and history2 is for Node3, right?
>
> forget about "node3".
> correctly "supporting" a 3rd node as cold-standby secondary,
> recognizing that we might have "related" data, but need a full sync,
> is a (nice to have) side-effect only that this algorithm is capable of
>
> no. the uuid stuff, and the uuid-history in particular, is there to be
> able to detect split brain situations reliably.
>
> > 	Now Step 5 of your table in section 5.3.
> > After the resync, node1 is connected to node3. The bitmap-UUID gets
> > cleared when the resync process finishes, i.e. all the marks in the
> > bitmap are cleared, and now both data sets are in sync.
> >
> > 	Now here, Where this 7 and 5 came from? is 7 history UUID for Node3 and
> > 5 history UUID for Node2?
> >
> > Similarly in Step 9.
>
> copied from ROADMAP text:
>
>   Special UUID values:
>   JustCreated [JC] ___  4
>
>   ALGORITHMS
>
>   Upon Connect:
>       self   peer   action
>   1.  C=JC   C=JC   No Sync
>   2.  C=JC   C!=JC  I am SyncTarget setting BM
>   3. C!=JC   C=JC   I am SyncSource setting BM
>   4.   C   =   C    No Sync
>   5.   C   =   B    I am SyncTarget using BM
>   6.   C   = H1|H2  I am SyncTarget setting BM
>   7.   B   =   C    I am SyncSource using BM
>   8. H1|H2 =   C    I am SyncSource setting BM
>   9.   B   =   B    [ and B != 0 ] SplitBrain, try auto recover strategies.
>   10 H1|H2 = H1|H2  SplitBrain, disconnect.
>   11.               Warn about unrelated Data, disconnect.
>
> [this part seems to be missing from the pdf]
>
>   Upon Disconnect:
>    Primary:
>       Copy the current-UUID over to the bitmap-UUID, create a new
>       current-UUID.
>    Secondary:
>       Nothing to do.
>
>   Upon becomming Primary:
>    In case we are disconnected and the bitmap-UUID is emptry, copy the
>    current-UUID over to the bitmap-UUID and create a new current-UUID.
>    Special-case: primary with --do-what-I-say, clearing the inconsistent
>                  flag causes a new UUID to be generated.
>
>   Upon start of resync:
>    Clear the consistent-flag on the SyncTarget. Generate a new UUID for
>    the bitmap-UUID of the SyncSource and the current-UUID of the SyncTarget.
>
>   Upon finish of resync:
>    Set the bitmap-UUID to 0. The SyncTarget addopts the current-UUID
>    of the SyncSource, and sets its consistent-flag.
>
>   When the bitmap-UUID gets cleared, move the previous value to H1.
>   In case H1 was already set copy its previous value to H2. Etc..
>
>   For the auto recover strategies after split brain (see item 5)
> [...]
	Suppose. I have three nodes. N1, N2, N3. Replication goes between N1
and N2. I wana take backup of N1 on N3, I disconnect N2 and connect N3,
take the backup (full sync), put back the N2 for replication.
	Now in next backup I found that only 3 blocks of N1 has changed as
bitmap will say only three blocks are changed why would N3 have to do
full sync with N1?

--
-Milind
"There is no place like 127.0.0.1"