[DRBD-user] replicating system partitions

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 6 19:33:57 CEST 2006

/ 2006-09-06 18:13:17 +0100
\ Faisal Shaikh:
> Hi,
>
> Is it advisable to replicate the system partitions as well as the data
> partitions (/var, / and /usr)?
>
> Both of my machines which I intend to use in the replication are i386
> based (Athlon processors) and dont have any special hardware. They are
> _not_ hardware clones of each other.
>
> The advantages I can think of are
> 1. System config changes are synced across as well, so the secondary
>    node is upto date configuration wise.
> 2. Less administration as a result of the above.

different problem, different solution.
consider using csync2 (http://oss.linbit.com/csync2) to keep your
cluster configuration in sync.

> 3. No need to relocate and make symlinks of directories like
>    /var/lib/nfs etc..
>
> Disadvantages:
> 1. Accidental mangling of config files on primary will be instantaneously transferred to secondary.
> 2. Unknown demons that will present themselves when I install new software.

3. no mountable root file system :)
  remember: you cannot have it mounted on both nodes at the same time.

even with drbd 8 and "shared disk mode" this would not make much sense.
I don't think anyone out there actually has its root file system, or
other mostly static (only changed once in a while during maintenance
downtimes) areas on cluster file systems...