[DRBD-user] drbd device

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at ralfgross.de
Thu Nov 30 12:41:01 CET 2006

Kamran Nisar said:
> i would be replicating the entire /dev/md0 .. as per the tutorials i read,
> i am not supposed to mount this device, and let drbd handle it. thats
fine..
> but why do i need to create a file system on /dev/drbd0, and how will I
> access the files on /dev/md0, since i can't mount it or anything..

You use /dev/drbd0 to access you data, /dev/md0 is the underlying device.
For mkfs, mount... you use the drbd device.

> other than that.. I formatted /dev/drbd0 on one system using mkreiserfs, ,
> completed successfully and i rebooted server, and the /dev/drbd0 has
> dissappeared..

Do you have a working init script that starts drbd? What about the module?

Furthermore you may have to execute 'drbdadm primary all' after reboot on
your primary node - or use heartbeat.

> On the other system it won't let me format the dev/drbd0 saying "could not
> open /dev/drbd0 Read only filesystem"

I guess that's the secondary node?

Ralf