[DRBD-user] What generation counters look like?

Igor Yu. Zhbanov bsg at uniyar.ac.ru
Mon Nov 27 17:54:38 CET 2006

Hello!

I want to better understand how drbd decides what node has more fresh data.
Sometimes after reboots in the cluster there was situation when drbd on
master node (which was in Primary state already) refuses to connect with
drbd on slave node, claiming that "Primary shall become SyncTarget".
Even if I write some files on promary (to make changes on device) it refuses
to connect anyway.

So, what is generation counters? (I just don't want to grep though drbd
sources. ;-) Is it belongs to whole drbd device or each block has its own
counter? Is it like time stamp or like version number?

Thanks.