[DRBD-user] DRBD -> LVM -> Xen -> non-clustered-filesystem?

Håkan drbdhberg at wayfinder.com
Thu Nov 23 23:13:58 CET 2006

James Vanns wrote:
> What are your thoughts on the following setup?
>
> 2x physical nodes - identical
> DRBD latest 'pre' 0.8 source
> Fedora Core 6 host OS/dom0 (on both nodes)
> Crossover cable between the two nodes with 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2
> respectively purely for DRBD chatter.
> Metadata (of DRBD) stored on a separate disk on each machine
> (/dev/sda5).
> DRBD 'source' drive is /dev/sdb and target drive is /dev/drbd0

This is almost exactly my setup as well. Seems reasonable.

> ...Therefore Xen1 will never write to the same LV as Xen2. But then there
> is the question of LVM meta data etc. logs and caches etc. of all these
> layers - how do you think DRBD will handle it without the use of OCFS or
> GFS as the choice of FS on the Xen LV drives

DRBD handles it just fine, since it's working on a block device layer. I
use ext3 with good results.
I compile my own LVM, device-mapper and cluster suite, to get it the way
i want it, with clvmd and all. This ensures that there will be no
problem with meta data and such.
DRBD does a good job here, and it works quite good with the new pre6.
Nothing much to add there.
My setup works well with migration, which is why I use drbd in the first
place.

/Håkan