[DRBD-user] DRBD -> LVM -> Xen -> non-clustered-filesystem?

James Vanns james.vanns at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Nov 23 19:15:34 CET 2006

What are your thoughts on the following setup?

2x physical nodes - identical
DRBD latest 'pre' 0.8 source
Fedora Core 6 host OS/dom0 (on both nodes)
Crossover cable between the two nodes with 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2
respectively purely for DRBD chatter.
Metadata (of DRBD) stored on a separate disk on each machine
(/dev/sda5).
DRBD 'source' drive is /dev/sdb and target drive is /dev/drbd0

Now, on top of this I run pvcreate /dev/drbd0 then the usual vg, lv
create tools etc. to create separate LV '/' partitions for each Xen
guest OS. Xen guest images will run alternately on each physical node;

Node1	Node2
Xen1	Xen2
Xen3	Xen4

etc.

Therefore Xen1 will never write to the same LV as Xen2. But then there
is the question of LVM meta data etc. logs and caches etc. of all these
layers - how do you think DRBD will handle it without the use of OCFS or
GFS as the choice of FS on the Xen LV drives?

Worth a go? (Of course DRBD is set to allow-two-primaries at the
moment).

Jim

--
James Vanns