[DRBD-user] problem with 3x 1,5TB partitions

Ralf Gross Ralf.Gross at STZ-Softwaretechnik.de
Mon Nov 13 14:48:08 CET 2006

Lars Ellenberg said:
> / 2006-11-13 11:05:03 +0100
> \ Ralf Gross:
>> | What is warning: ''out of vmalloc space''
>> |
>> | For each device, drbd will (try to) allocate X MB of bitmap, plus some
>> | constant amount (<1MB). X = storage_size_in_GB/32, so 1 TB storage ->
>> 32
>> | MB bitmap.
>> |
>> | By default Linux allocates 128MB to Vmalloc. For systems using more
>> than
>> | 4TB, this may cause an issue.
>> |
>> | If you get the following error message in /var/log/messages, Try a
>> Linux
>> | 2.6 hugemem kernel.
>> |
>> | kernel: allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size>
>> | increase size.

>  * try with a custom built kernel

It's working now with default ubuntu kernel (2.6.15-26-server) and vmalloc
option set to 256m at boot time. I'm no kernel guru, do I have to expect
trouble with this option and 4GB of RAM?

>  * use amd64 and hope for the best

I'm using x86 hardware here, amd64 is no option at the moment.

>  * use drbd+
>    single device up to 16TB, licence includes support.
>    you still need enough ram, and (not only) we still
>    recommend 64bit architechture for boxes holding
>    that much storage.

Sorry for that maybe stupid question, but what might be the problem with
x86 hardware and 4TB of disk storage?

Ralf