[DRBD-user] Error on primary server copied to secondary too?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Nov 10 13:13:44 CET 2006

/ 2006-11-10 12:11:31 +0100
\ Luca Gallo:
> Hi,
> I have two machine in primary/secondary configuration.
> The question is:
> If on primary server happens an error on filesystems (i.e. XFS) of the partitions that I mirror with drbd, is this
> error "copied" to the secondary server too?

say, some "invalid" data is written to disk by the file system,
(because of memory corruption, implementation error,
the shade of the moon, whatever).

how could the block device (drbd) know that this data is "invalid"?
how should it go about "fixing" it, in case it could?

so, yes, anything that gets written to drbd
it mirrored. that is the purpose of "raid 1"
(which is basically what drbd is).

> If this is true, how can I avoid this?

you can't.