[DRBD-user] hey, it worked

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 23 18:43:33 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 06:32:00PM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> >P.S. Stay away from those 1U Travla cases.
>
> If you have enough space, then 1U is a bad choice also for other reasons.

Right now I have enough rack space, but I'm trying to
stick 1-2 systems in 1 U. Current Opterons run
reasonably cool so it's not a problem filling most
of the rack, with enough airflow. (Of course, my
current provider does not feed enough cool air into
the rack to start with, so in-rack airflow is a
waste of time).

> E.g. it is hard to find a slim CPU-fan etc.

When 1U Opteron systems e.g. from Sun start at 600 EUR,
there's no point in rolling your own. These have hotpluggable
chassis fans, and the CPU heat sink is passive (but ducted
with above chassis fans blowing through).

> >These let disks run way too hot.
>
> I like the disks sitting behind a Pabst 80 mm fan at 1500 rpm.
> See http://munin.nack.at/nack.at/via2.nack.at.html#Sensors
> These consumer quality disks are now running 3 years 7/24 in my
> DRBD-cluster without a single error.

Heat is an issue, but consumer-grade mechanics is not designed
to be pounded 24/7/365. FWIW, the failed disk (Maxtor Maxline II)
is advertised as "server-grade" (meaningless, I know).

Though I'll RMA the drive I'm told current 7200.9 Seagates
(5 year warranty) are much better -- especially the SATA
versions (much better than equivalent PATA models). I hope they'll
survive the heat longer -- and if they don't, I will RMA them
as well. Or, retire the system. It was a stupid experiment
to start with.