[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 19:53:48 CEST 2006

--- Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha
<strange at nsk.no-ip.org> wrote:
> You don't understand the scenario. You already have
> a working server,
> without drbd, and decide to add drbd to it:
>
> 1. a) create metadata partition
> 1. b) resize filesystem to give space to metadata
>
> 2. tell drbd the device is consistent.
>
> -> new drbd device, without data loss (and without
> having to create new
> partition, set drbd on it, migrate data to new drd
> device).

Wow, I did NOT understand that! :)  That is cool, so
can it go the other way too?  Can I turn a drbd
partition back into a normal parition?  If I simply
ran resizefs on the low level partition it would
ovewrite the meta-data and be mountable normaly
(without drbd?)

> > > with a fast link, I typically see the drbd
> initial
> > > full sync finish slightly faster than dd would.
> >
> > Now I don't understand that, how is that possible?
>  Is
> > it because drbd is running in kernel space?
>
> Probably because he's dd'ing sector by sector, that
> is, by default, 512
> bytes.
>
> I usually define a bs of 1M or more.

Hmm, not a good example then, right?  Lars, is that
really what you meant?

-Martin