[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 10 18:51:33 CEST 2006

/ 2006-05-10 09:39:12 -0700
\ Carson Gaspar:
> --On Wednesday, May 10, 2006 6:32 PM +0200 Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
>
> >but then again, once we implement the online
> >verification, we would _need_ to have this initial
> >sync, because the drives _have_ to be bitwise identical
> >(that's one of our "guarantees", after all).
>
> Actually, no - you don't have to do a network sync.
> You can just write zeros on both sides.

Oh? That's news! Tell me more :)

if someone wants to do that, he can of course do that.  thats maybe
usefull if you have smallish, fast storage but slowish network.

I think typically you rather have largish raid5 backend,
and a dedicated GigE link.
Bottleneck is the storage box.  so what.

So, you have to pay for that traffic by MB?
Oops. My bad.
Ok, one more annoying question in drbd8 at meta-data creation time...

Nothing of this is likely to appear in drbd 0.7, though.
But as already mentioned, you can easily script this.

Cheers,