[DRBD-user] dont work limitation of drbd device size

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 10 15:44:20 CEST 2006

/ 2006-05-10 09:57:05 +0300
\ DaLiV:

> dont work limitation of drbd device size.
> that need for different sized disks on different nodes ....
>
> Version: 0.7.18 (api:78)
> SVN Revision: 2186 build by root at s02.flora.lv, 2006-05-10 09:16:05
> older versions also report same error ...
>
> # uname -a
> Linux xx.xx.xx 2.6.16.14 #1 SMP Tue May 9 15:48:20 EEST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> #/etc/init.d/drbd start
> Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid argument
> Low.dev. smaller than requested DRBD-dev. size.
>
> cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb1 internal -1 --on-io-error=pass_on --size=133G  failed!
> # fdisk -l /dev/sdb

leave it off completely. this is the preferred method.
drbd will use the correct size after the first handshake.

the size parameter is more for when you have 1TB storage, but for
testing purposes you want to use only 77MB of that, and you don't want
to use lvm.
if you insist to use the size parameter: to get the correct size of the
partition, look at /proc/partitions.
specify size in blocks. (K)
remember that for internal meta data it needs to be 128M smaller than
the smaller device of both of your nodes.