[DRBD-user] drbdsetup demands the use of drbdadm

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 17:31:35 CEST 2006

I am attempting to setup drbd on debian unstable, it
reports version .8pre2.  Since I cannot get it to
work, I am attempting to break things down into
smaller pieces.  To do this, I am attempting to use
dbbd setup.  If I understand things properly, drbd
setup is the low level user interface and it should
not ever look at drbd.conf right?

When I run it to attpemt to setup a device it
complains about the meta-data area needing to be
intialized (or something like that, I'm sorry I'm at
work and don't have access to the box right now for
the exact error message).  The kicker is that the
error message tells me to run drbdadm create-md res
(that was drbdadm,not drbdsetup!).  Now this seems
strange to me since it seems like drbadm runs off of
drbd.conf.  Is there a way to do this 'create-md' step
manually on a device without having to reference the
drbd.conf file?

This 'drbdadm create-md res' command isn't documented
on this page:
http://www.drbd.org/fileadmin/drbd/doc/0.7.0/en/drbdadm.html
What is the 'res' part supposed to be?

-Martin