[DRBD-user] 2.4.x - 2.6.x mixed kernel drbd cluster

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Mar 23 14:38:07 CET 2006

/ 2006-03-23 13:54:57 +0100
\ Diego Liziero:
> Anyone tested a drbd cluster with mixed version of 2.4.x and 2.6.x
> kernel in their nodes?
>
> I'm about to upgrade a drbd 2-nodes cluster from 2.4.x to 2.6.x kernel,
> and I thought to change first the secondary node, then to switch it
> to primary, and then to upgrade the second node.
>
> In the middle of this process there will be, for a short while,
> a cluster with mixed 2.4 and 2.6 kernel versions with drbd.
>
> Anyone tested it?

yes.
e.g. just last week upgraded a cluster from SLES8 (2.4.idontremember) to
SLES9 (2.6.whatever-with-loads-of-suse-back-and-forth-ports), and it
went smoothly with minimal downtime (downtime was not because of drbd,
but because of additional data migration).

> Is it safe?

yes. as safe as any administrativ change.