[DRBD-user] low performance on 'Write Tests' using tiobench

Leroy van Logchem leroy.vanlogchem at wldelft.nl
Tue Mar 7 10:41:09 CET 2006

Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We try to use DRBD in some reason. After some tests using tiobench
>like DRBD's performance page, we found the write rate is too low,
>almost 1/2 in Sequential Writes, 1/4 in Random Writes.
>
>We use two HP-DL140, with 2.8GHz P4 CPU*2 (with HyperThreads), 4GB
>memory and 2 SATA Maxtor hard-disk (we just use one of the two on each
>machine), and got these results:

Maybe it's nothing but I saw a decrease in performance on 2.6.15.4
using the 0.7.16 drbd module. Can't pinpoint the cause and I'am even
using this combo in production on two servers now
(planning to upgrade to vanilla 2.6.15.6 soon).

Network cards:

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter

Did you tweak the MTU size to 9000 on the nic doing the drbd work?
Cross cable or switches between the nodes?

drbd configuration details regarding performance:
    net {
        max-buffers      65536;
    }
    syncer {
        rate             99M;
        al-extents       521;
    }

What are safe and fast settings for these .config lines?

CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=17
CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP=y