[DRBD-user] Problems with new drbd install 0.7.14 "device already mounted"

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Mar 3 00:57:48 CET 2006

Andy Tornquist wrote:

> I have install drbd 0.7.14 on 2 centos 4.2 boxes. Everything is running fine
> on one box(hostname cluster2)
> but on the machine with the hostname cluster1 I get the following message
> when starting the service:
>

> service drbd start
> Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid
> argument
> Lower device is already mounted.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/hdc1 internal -1  failed!
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Both systems appear to be the same but I can not see why cluster1 does not
> work. The mount command does not show it mounted:
>
> (cluster1) mount
<SNIP>
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<SNIP>
> (cluster2)
>
> mount
<SNIP>
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<SNIP>

you should NEVER have the physical device which you are giving to drbd,
mounted on the system!!!!

#when you want to format the partition you should use:
mke2fs /dev/drbd1
#when you want to fsck the partition you should use:
e2fsck /dev/drbd1
#when you want to mount the partition you should use:
mount /dev/drbd1

i.e. when you give a partition to drbd you should have stopped trying to use
it directly with other tools and start always talking to it through drbd.

--
Todd Denniston