[DRBD-user] Sync

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Jun 28 10:36:11 CEST 2006

/ 2006-06-28 12:42:00 +0530
\ Milind Dumbare:
> Hi,
> 	I just found out that we can do this by using coomand line options of
> drbdsetup.
> 	#drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 syncer --rate=5M --skip-sync

this is a sticky option introduced only to more easily reproduce certain
corner cases during development and debugging.  you won't get _any_ sync
until you reset this on both nodes while they are not connected, then
reconnect (and then you will get the outstanding sync).

> Thanks
> (Wrote answer for archive purpose)

stay away from it.
it is not for "testing".
it will not help you during testing.
it will cause problems and strange behaviour.
it is for developers only, so we can more
conveniently debug certain corner cases.
stay away from it.

if you want to skip the _initial_ sync, you can use the "write_gc.pl"
(testing/ subdirectory of the tarball) to initialize the generation
counts to something identical and consistent before you use the drbd
peers for the first time. there are threads about avoiding the initial
sync in the archives.

stay away from the option you propose to use.
stay away from it.

thanks.