[DRBD-user] What server to run services while syncing

Gary W. Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Wed Jun 21 08:11:52 CEST 2006

Your concept is correct for failover.  Secondary is now primary until
you make it otherwise.  This is where heartbeat (or linux-ha) comes into
play.  It is the automation tool.  It will promote the secondary to
primary for you and fail back automatically (if you so configure it to
do so) when the proper primary comes back online and is in sync.

Check out Linux-ha's implementation of DRBD.  It is literally just 3
lines in a config file to do what you are asking, with auto failover.

As for the startup and shutdown of virtual servers, HA can do that for
you as well.  You need only encapsulate your scripts in a init.d
compatible fashion (that is supporting start/stop).