[DRBD-user] primary/secondary problem

nick nick at mobilia.it
Mon Jun 19 10:11:41 CEST 2006

Gernot W. Schmied wrote:
> Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>
>>/ 2006-06-13 13:32:58 +0200
>>\ Gernot W. Schmied:

>>>Mine does now. Should I conclude from your question that both
>>>constituents of a drbd cluster start in secondary mode unless altered
>>>via init script or heartbeat?
>

>>if you insist on shooting yourself, just go ahead.
>>

> Very well, beautiful advice, witty, technically sound, one has to admire
> the craftsmanship.
>
> It strikes me as peculiar though that *some* folks here switch to
> messiah-ego-mode as soon as somebody dares to say that he does not run
> DRBD via heartbeat and sync-cluster. Of course I am running DRBD in
> several heartbeat (crypto)clusters, makes the most sense anyway.
> However, I was playing with an async configuration where I just power up
> a remote secondary node (SOHO workstation) once a day as a replacement
> for a daily tape backup, and tell you what, it works well and why
> shouldn't it and it serves its purpose at the accepted risk of losing a
> day's changes (same with the tape anyway).
>
> So my question was related to an isolated primary node (secondary
> powered down) which was declared primary once and why it insists to
> return to secondary mode after restart of drbd.
>
> Gernot

Just a simple question, why not run something like unison?

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

I use it on my DRBD connected boxes for files in directories where the
whole directory cannot be mirrored (due to configuration files present
which need to remain unique)..

You can run it over ssh, set it up as a cron job, and it works great for
  remote sites cuz it will only send the changed data.

For this type of problem I think using DRBD might be a bit of overkill.
IMHO of course.

Nick