[DRBD-user] primary/secondary problem

Gernot W. Schmied gernot.schmied at chello.at
Tue Jun 13 14:37:57 CEST 2006

paddy wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:12:41PM +0200, Gernot W. Schmied wrote:
>> paddy wrote:
>>> If you don't mind me asking: Why ???
>> Because I am excentric an like it that way, I am well aware of the
>> disadvantages doing it that awkward way, I have my reasons and I do not
>> wish to discuss it.
>
> No problem, I've no wish to press you on details you do not wish to share.
>
> FWIW, for a once a day sync at the block device level, you might wish
> to consider lvm snapshots.  Of course, if running drbd synchronised in
> the event of some contingency is part of your game plan, then that
> wouldn't interest, but that's one reason I asked.

There are mostly historical reasons for this setup, thanks anyway for
the LVM snapshot idea, will give it some testing, good idea though
.

>> I'd rather and humbly appreciate some enlightening input on the question
>> raised ;-).
>
> the drbd nodes communicate by way of a network connection, and it appears
> that they are not connecting.  The usual debugging techniques for
> network connections that are not happening apply.  The other correspondent
> was correct to suggest a firewall problem as a likely candidate.
>
> can you ping ?

No, because the secondary is down as described. I am just wondering why
I was able to maintain an isolated primary so far (no Ip connection to
secondary), an not any longer. That's the whole point.

Thanks,
Gernot