[DRBD-user] primary/secondary problem

Gernot W. Schmied gernot.schmied at chello.at
Tue Jun 13 09:22:43 CEST 2006

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2006-06-11 23:22:38 +0200
> \ Gernot W. Schmied:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since my migration (didn't change a thing!) to newest Ubuntu my DRBD
>> setup (0.7.17 on both machines) on my primary machine suddenly insists
>> to remain in "secondary" mode. Any idea why?
>
> well.
> what do you mean by "insist"?
> if you tell it to become primary, what exactly does happen?
> how do you try to do the "drbdadm primary all"?

Hmm, the primary node so far always remained primary after setting it
once regardless of the secondary being reachable and it maintained that
state regardless of restarting drbd via /etc/init.d/drbd.
Now it always returns to secondary state when I stop/restart drbd after
declaring it primary with "drbdadm primary all" before mounting my file
systems. Maybe it is supposed to be that way but I'd like to understand
why. Why does it return to secondary state when I stop drbd?

Thanks,
Gernot