[DRBD-user] Drbd make user timed out when secondary node up

Claude Pelletier CPelletier at serti.com
Fri Jun 9 19:01:23 CEST 2006

M. Ellenberg

I have a problem with DRBD

This is the scenario.
We are using samba on the linux box getting replicate thru drbd

They are using a 10MB line betwwen the 2 machines they are in different
town.

When the user copy a 500mb file on the PRIMARY linux server and drbd is up
on both node
il look like the copy get timed out and lost contact with the PRIMARY
linux box.

The change I did to try to fix this was
first changing the protocole from C to A
and change the sndbuf-size from the default to 512K

Look like those changes didnt make a diference
The only way I know right now to fix the problem is to get the secondary
node down

When the primary is in the state Primary/Unknown the copy of files work
great
but I dont have replication anymore.

Heres a part of the drbd.conf ( it include only one replicated partition
the others are a exact copy of resource drbd0, except for the /dev the
disk and meta-disk parameters) and
I have also include the drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 show command ( to let you see
how drbd see the parameters set) :

DRBD.CONF

global {
        minor-count 4;
        dialog-refresh 600;
}
resource drbd0 {
        protocol A;
        incon-degr-cmd "/bin/true";
        syncer {
                rate 70M;
        }
        net {
                sndbuf-size 512k;

        }
        on smb-mtl01 {
                device /dev/drbd0;
                disk /dev/mapper/VGPrivate_orion-LVPrivate_orion;
                address 10.10.1.3:7789;
                meta-disk /dev/sdh1[0];
        }
        on smb-sjo01 {
                device /dev/drbd0;
                disk /dev/mapper/VGPrivate_orion-LVPrivate_orion;
                address 10.10.2.66:7789;
                meta-disk /dev/sde1[0];
        }
}

drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 show

Lower device: 253:02   (dm-2)
Meta device: 08:113   (sdh1)
Meta index: 0
Disk options:
Local address: 10.10.1.3:7789
Remote address: 10.10.2.66:7789
Wire protocol: A
Net options:
 timeout = 6.0 sec (default)
 connect-int = 10 sec (default)
 ping-int = 10 sec (default)
 max-epoch-size = 2048  (default)
 max-buffers = 2048  (default)
 sndbuf-size = 524288
 ko-count = 0  (default)
Syncer options:
 rate = 71680 KB/sec
 group = 0  (default)
 al-extents = 127  (default)

I'm almost sure I need to set others paramater to improve the performance
of drbd on the primary node
or maybe tune the one I got.

Since Im a little lost in all this I hope you can help me out

Thanks !

Claude Pelletier
Serti Informatique Inc.
Courriel/Email : cpelletier at serti.com