[DRBD-user] Newbie probs with 0.8x on FC5

Christophe Zwecker doc at zwecker.de
Wed Jul 19 12:33:22 CEST 2006

Håkan wrote:
> Christophe Zwecker wrote:
>> after I startup drbd with /etc/rc.d/init.d/drbd I do this on the primary:
>>
>> [root at mw-test2 ~]#  drbdadm -- --do-what-I-say primary all
>> --do-what-I-say was renamed to --overwrite-data-of-peer, since that is
>> less ambiguous.
>> Only do it if you really know what you are doing. DRBD is going to save
>> this fact to its metadata, and it will really overwrite the peer's copy
>> of data with the local copy.
>> Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary --do-what-I-say' terminated with
>> exit code 20
>> drbdsetup exited with code 20
>>
> This is what i do on my 0.8pre3 setup, after modprobe drbd (r0 is my
> resource):
> Both nodes:
> # drbdadm create-md r0
> # drbdadm up all
> one node:
> # drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary all
>
> Drbd now starts to syncronize. To make both nodes primary, issue on them
> both:
> # drbdadm primary all
> but this requires the following in your drbd.conf:
> net {
>  allow-two-primaries;
> }
>

>> I did format /dev/sdb2 with ext3 on first machine.
> I format /dev/drbd0 with ext3, but im using internal metadata though.
>
> /HĂĽkan

when I do as you say:
[root at mw-test3 ~]# drbdadm create-md pmgr

Valid meta-data already in place, recreate new?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm]

Operation cancelled.
[root at mw-test3 ~]# drbdadm create-md pmgr

Valid meta-data already in place, recreate new?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

Creating meta data...
initialising activity log
initialising bitmap (131036 KB)
99%New drbd meta data block sucessfully created.
[root at mw-test3 ~]# drbdadm up all
ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid argument
No valid meta-data signature found.
Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area.

Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb1 0
--on-io-error=detach' terminated with exit code 20

Strange, now I do it with internal metadata and it works, but I can't
format the drbd partition:

[root at mw-test2 ~]# mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/drbd0 is apparently in use by the system; will not make a
filesystem here!

after/before which step do I format ?

thx

Chris
Christophe Zwecker                     mail: doc at zwecker.de
Hamburg, Germany                        fon: +49 179 3994867
http://www.zwecker.de

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"