[DRBD-user] drbd on md file ext3 corruption

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 11 13:01:48 CEST 2006

/ 2006-07-10 10:16:17 -0700
\ Brent Jensen:
> The filesystem was created correctly on the drbd0 device and
> verified that this is the case. This is the same issue as shown in:
> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2005-October/003860.html

If it was the same issue, it would have been fixed by using some
kernel without the bio-clone bug.  We did not hear from Eugene
about this since, and, iirc, he does thorough tests in a well
established environment.

> This allusive bug has never gone away (I've been experiencing
> this for almost two years now). I would like to know how people
> are dealing w/ this. It has recently become a real problem in my
> production environment (almost every day). I created the
> filesystem on both production setups on the DRBD device. They
> might seem to fail (but not always) when heavily used (lots of
> web activity or during backups).

In each case I personally have seen fs-corruption occur like this,
appart from that bio-clone bug, it finally could be tracked down
to bad hardware.  bad cable, cable interferrence, instability in
voltage (some people could reproduce fs-corruption by running
3D-benchmarks on their grafic card)...

There may be problem deeper in the kernel, there are some threads
about fs corruption with devmapper, you could try to find
something relevant for your situation on e.g.
 http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/