[DRBD-user] DRBD IO request mechanism safety

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jul 10 12:44:46 CEST 2006

/ 2006-07-08 18:45:21 +0200
\ Miroslav Jany:
> Hi all!
>
> Can somebody of the DRBD developers please confirm this claim?
>
> -If any IO request is made to a DRBD device which is not in
> Primary state, that request will fail.
>
> I need to be sure about the aboved-mentioned statement because recently
> I've found this information in the machine's kernel log file and I'm starting
> to think about possible data corruption:

> Jul  6 21:23:20 xxxx kernel: drbd1: Not in Primary state, no IO
> requests allowed
> Jul  6 21:23:20 xxxx kernel: Buffer I/O error on device drbd1, logical
> block 0

something (lvscan, some auto mounter, any "intelligent" cronjob, some
device managing gui, ...) tries to scan and probe your devices, to
figure out what kind of file-systems may be on them.

no worries here.
if the log entries annoy you, find out what process does this
probing, and try to exclude drbd devices from those probes.