[DRBD-user] Re: OOPS with drbd, lvm and XFS on debian xen 2.6.16

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jul 10 12:18:36 CEST 2006

/ 2006-07-06 13:59:15 -0300
\ Igor Morgado:
> Lars..
>
> My environment "needs" of drbd8. Because live migration works flawlessly with
> pri/pri resources. Using sec/pri I need to do a big trip to achieve this.
>
> sleep the vm
> put local disk as secondary
> copy the vm state to remote server
> put remote disk as primary
> load the vm state.
>
> This procedure takes 20-30 seconds to complish. I can even keep the session
> (because tcp/ip timeout)
>
> With pri/pri I do the following:
> put remote disk as primary
> start xen live migration
> put local disk as secondary
>
> The procedure takes 1-3 seconds, and I have only 1 second of delay in session
> (most of users cannot even notice the migration).

are you sure that the latest xen does not behave better with drbd-0.7?
I think there have been some adjustments to xen as to when exactly in
the migration process it needs the "shared" block device.

> My question is:
>
> Will be any compatibility with drbd7 and 8? there is a way to migrate drbd7
> metadata to 8 without data loss?

you will be able to migrate drbd 0.7 -> drbd 8 without data loss,
but probably you'd need a downtime. the drbdmeta command is able to
convert meta data of different versions. but currently drbd8 and drbd0.7
don't understand each other on the wire, so you cannot do roling
upgrades. we did some preparations for a compatibility layer within the
drbd communications, but we did not implement it at all (yet).