[DRBD-user] DRBD with the 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 kernel

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:37:20 CET 2006

This is off-topic for this list. However, I will answer your question.

1. Find a Fedora Core download mirror near you.
http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html

2. Get into the updates folder and find the versions of the kernel that you want.
For example in the Duke University mirror site for a 64 bit machine they are located at:
ftp://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/x86_64/
For other architectures, simply replace the last directory name:
ftp://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/

Then download the kernel rpms for the 1653 kernel. If you are building drbd yourself, you need to
get the kernel-devel package as well.

3. Install the packages with rpm -ivh kernel-*.rpm

4. When you reboot the machine go into grub and change to the desired kernel.

Whenever you update your kernel, do not replace the current kernel with:
rpm -Uvh

use:

rpm -ivh kernel

so that you preserve the old kernel in place.  If you used yum or up2date to update your machine,
you must still have the old kernel.  check with:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

to find out all the kernel versions installed, then recompile drbd and install the drbd kernel
module also with the -ivh flags. This way you will keep drbd kernel modules for all kernels in your
system.  After a week or so of testing with a new kernel then you may consider it safe to remove the
old one.  But always keep the most recently working kernel and drbd module for a period of time that
you consider safe in case you have to go back to it.

Diego