[DRBD-user] Problem with new setup/0.7.16: stalled sync

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Tue Feb 21 14:42:54 CET 2006

Lars Ellenberg wrote:

>/ 2006-02-21 09:28:14 +0100
> \ Michael Paesold:
>> Just some analysis from myself:
>>
>> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> >Logs from primary/sync source: (xen03)
>                                  ^^^^^^^
>
> this is not "plain linux", but Xen master virtualization domain,
> or what are you up to?

This is plain linux. It should eventually become Xen virtualized, but right
now, the server has not seen a single bit of Xen. ;-)

> well. we could not start the thread (from the output below it is the
> "worker", that failed to start), so the task pointer is NULL.
>
> guess what, if the worker is not there, who does the work?
> thus: stalled.

It's not only that, it *seems* this finally resulted in a kernel panic (I
could send you the logs), because after that the issue propagated even
further and somehow managed to cause major havoc :-).

Could this error, i.e. a failing kernel_thread be handled somewhat more
gracefully? Is there any way to back out for the drbd kernel module and say:
huh, I give up...

> why the thread could not be started?
> I don't know.

Do you know where I could find what "-4" means as the result to
kernel_thread?

Perhaps this is broken kernel, but then, it's the stock CentOS-4.2 (rebuilt
RHEL 4 update 2) kernel.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold