[DRBD-user] Alternatives to NFS ?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Feb 17 22:04:21 CET 2006

Pierre Ancelot wrote:
> After some tuning clients side, some test, i finaly tuned up my nfs
> clients so now everything _seems_so_far_ to go well.
> I used those options: soft,nfsvers=3,wsize=16384,rsize=1024
> to notice, the soft option helped a _LOT_ aswell as moving to nfs3 and
> chaging the write size to 16384. It's of course all depending your
> configuration, i use something like: time dd to write and read to nfs
> and get the time used. The amount of headers in the connection seems to
> have a BIG impact over nfs which i didn't expect.
>
> Thanks to all anyways, if i still get issues, i'll keep you posted and
> eventually move to samba or why not, having both running to failover....
> :P

You might want to be careful with that soft on the clients, it can cause data
corruption if you have very many people on your LAN or if you have a few high
bandwidth users.  it is better to use hard,intr ... this still hangs like
hard, but it can be interrupted with signals.

very many people = I figure > ~10
high bandwidth users are folks who like to stream any audio or video data on
the LAN.

Also as Bernd indicated you might see a little better performance if your read
size was a bit bigger too.

--
Todd Denniston