[DRBD-user] Limit for number of /dev/drbdXXX devices

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Tue Feb 7 22:42:57 CET 2006

Am Montag, 6. Februar 2006 15:32 schrieb root:
> Hi,
>
> What is the limit for number of DRBD devices? I've tried this:
>
> modprobe drbd minor_count=255
>
> And I get:
>
> drbd: ran out of memory
>
> It seems that the maximum number for minor_count is 106 or about 95 on
> another machine, can it be fixed?

Yes, that is because we use kmalloc() for the drbd_conf array. But please
explain, why you want to have such a huge number of DRBD devices ?

What is the usage scenario ?
Do you plan to go into production with such a high number ?

Might it be more suitable for this to use LVM on top of DRBD ?
(Not that I have done it up to now, I am just thinking loud about
 the justification for such a high number of replicated block
 devices...)

-Philipp