[DRBD-user] Severe NetworkFailure

VG sv476 at rediffmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:50:30 CET 2006

What can cause DRBD to enter and remain stuck in NetworkFailure state?
We're using 0.7.21 and kernel 2.6.10. There're a lot of error messages in syslog of the
Primary DRBD and finally got stuck in NetworkFailure state. All this
happened when FullSync started. Found that network link was okay.
Many messages in Primary syslog like these:

kernel: drbd0: Primary/Unknown --> Primary/Secondary
kernel: drbd0: drbd0_receiver [3182]: cstate WFBitMapS --> SyncSource
kernel: drbd0: Resync started as SyncSource (need to sync 4848340 KB [1212085 bits set]).
kernel: drbd0: drivers/block/drbd/drbd_main.c:1095: SyncSource flags=0x2020a
kernel: drbd0: kjournald [3269]: cstate SyncSource --> NetworkFailure

Another time found this,

kernel: drbd0: pdflush [91]: cstate SyncSource --> NetworkFailure
kernel: drbd0: drbd_send_block() failed
kernel: drbd0: drbd0_receiver [3182]: cstate NetworkFailure --> BrokenPipe

Observed this on the Secondary DRBD syslog sometimes when Primary was
going in to and coming out of NetworkFailure state:
kernel: drbd0: Avoided requeue of resync_work

Can somebody tell me what can cause all this and what's the way out when DRBD gets stuck like this? Thanks.

VG