[DRBD-user] formatting of drbd partition

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Aug 31 20:39:20 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 04:09 -0700, khaja mohideen wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   What would happen if i mount the 100 GB
> partition(/dev/hda1) without formatting as /dev/drbd0.

Bad Things(tm) would happen. Namely DRBD would not replicate any of your
data and all your effort would be wasted.

>    In slave I would allocate the exact 100 GB size for
> drbd.

The slave would never see any of the data from master because you're
bypassing DRBD.

>   Then would it solve.

No, it wouldn't. This road leads only to madness. Please re-read the
DRBD documentation as you don't appear to have a solid grasp on it.

It *is* possible to add DRBD to an existing partition without losing
data. I have done it on a number of occasions with very much mission
critical data. Do yourself a favor and practice a few times before
trying it for real.

Corey