[DRBD-user] write performance

Anselm Strauss anselm.strauss at id.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 23 11:20:56 CEST 2006

Hi.

On my drbd system the write performance is far below what i expected.
I have two opteron servers connected with gbit and each one has 2
sata 500gb disks. drbd runs on a dedicated cross-connect gbit link.
I'm pretty sure that neither the cpu, network, ram nor the disks are
a bottleneck.
For a start i created 2 drbd devices that are primary on one server.
each device on a separate disk. I exported the devices with lustre to
another host. the second drbd host just receives the mirrored data
over the dedicated link and doesn't export anything.
I get about 20mb/s for a single drbd device and about 28mb/s when i
stripe over both. I also tried multiple drbd devices per disk. I can
reach 35mb/s with 4 drbd devices, 2 devices on each disk, but that's
it. I tried to modify buffers and the protocol, but it seems to be
the limit.
When I disable mirroring data in drbd ("drbdadm down all" on second
server) I can reach rates of 40mb/s, 85mb/s and 88mb/s as in the
cases above.
Is this the performance impact i have to expect from drbd? Where
could be the bottleneck?
Has anybody reached higher write performance with drbd?

All resouce sections from my drbd.conf look like this:

resource lustre1 {
   protocol C;
   disk {
     on-io-error detach;
   }
   net {
     max-buffers 8192;
     sndbuf-size 512k;
     max-epoch-size 8192;
   }
   syncer {
     rate 20M;
     al-extents 1024;
     group 1;
   }
   on tnode1 {
     device /dev/drbd0;
     disk /dev/sda9;
     address 10.0.0.5:7788;
     meta-disk internal;
   }
   on tnode2 {
     device /dev/drbd0;
     disk /dev/sda9;
     address 10.0.0.6:7788;
     meta-disk internal;
   }
}

It says sndbuf-size should not be set over 1M. Is it a problem if
sndbuf-size aggregated over multiple sections is above 1M?

Cheers,
Anselm Strauss