[DRBD-user] drbd on top of hardware raid

Vampire D vampired at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 23:48:01 CEST 2006

I personally would recommend against RAID5 unless in the most dire
circumstance.  Raid 5 performance, especially software raid 5, is brutal.

If it all possible, I recommend raid 10/0+1 or just simply raid 1.

On 8/9/06, Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> / 2006-08-09 13:53:39 -0600
> \ Monty Taylor:
> > No, it's an internal LSI MegaRAID configured in Raid5. (not my choice)
> >
> > On the positive side, though, it supports 90M/sec of reading.
>
> if it is an option, try to put it into jbod,
> then do software raid5 on those.
> should help if that controller is "CPU" bound,
> and your file server is not...
>
> and, btw, you probably know that already ...
> raid controllers tend to pretend against the kernel that data was
> on stable storage, even when they indeed only have it still in their
> write back cache.
> if that cache is battery backed, ok.
> if not, and you get data corruption after blackout/brownout,
> don't blame linux, nor the device/file system drivers,
> nor drbd either...
>
> unfortunately sometimes you can not put it in "write through" mode
> (use that cache, but only say its done when its really done), but
> only switch off the cache completely.
> and then your write throughput gets really bad...
>
> so you better make sure you run on some ups, and monitor it,
> and power down the box cleanly in case the ups capacity runs out.
>
> --
> : Lars Ellenberg                                  Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :
> : LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH            Fax +43-1-8178292-82 :
> : Schoenbrunner Str. 244, A-1120 Vienna/Europe   http://www.linbit.com :
> __
> please use the "List-Reply" function of your email client.

"Do the actors on Unsolved Mysteries ever get arrested because they look
just like the criminal they are playing?"

Christopher