[DRBD-user] Question re: drbd device mounted to a subdirectory of another drbd device

Charles Riley criley at eradimagemedical.com
Thu Apr 27 17:54:10 CEST 2006

Greetings,

In the "Data Redundancy By DRBD" paper, I see the following statement:

"If you consider to stack DRBD on top of DRBD, think it over again. In a
fail-over case this will cause you more trouble than without it."

I want to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly -
Does it mean that you can't/shouldn't consider a configuration like the
following?

Physical device /dev/sda5 --> /dev/drbd0 mounted on /home/application
Physical device /dev/sdb5 --> /dev/drbd1 mounted on
/home/application/archive/das1
Physical device /dev/sdc5 --> /dev/drbd2 mounted on
/home/application/archive/das2
.... Etc.

The application I'm attempting to run on top of drbd utilizes such a
setup.  I'd rather not have to change the directory layout unless
absolutely necessary as it will require recoding the application, and
the archived data absolutely must exist on different physical devices
(there can be any number of das' attached, limited only by the number of
scsi controllers in the system)

Comments/suggestions welcome -

Many thanks,

Charles