[DRBD-user] sdb or sdbx?

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Apr 6 15:43:51 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 05:41:04PM -0400, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> I've seen some examples using partition devices instead of disk devices
> in drbd.conf.  How do they do that?  What kind of partition do they
> create on the disk to be able to put a drbd device over it?  My example
> uses /dev/sdb, which is the 2nd SCSI disk.  I didn't create any
> partition on it, in fact, the partition is the drbd device and I created
> the FS on the drbd device.  Is that OK?  Would it be better to use a
> partition instead?  How?

Well, the OS expects a partition table on the harddisk, so it is
recommended to use partitions instead of the whole disk. And you can
create a single partition spanning the entire disk.

The type of the partition doesn't matter, though, but use the same type
as the filesystem you'll be putting in the drbd device. (Remember than
you can mount the low-level device directly, instead of using drbd, in
the case of an emergency.)

--
lfr
0/0