[DRBD-user] sdb or sdbx?

Andreas J. Koenig andreas.koenig.gmwojprw at franz.ak.mind.de
Thu Apr 6 04:17:01 CEST 2006

  > 3- Start drbd

  > # service drbd start

  > 4- Make the primary primary

  > #  drbdadm -- --do-what-I-say primary all

In a guide, I would not use "all" but the resource name, in your
example drbd0. I'd probably choose an example that does not confuse
the reader: if I'd demonstrate setting up mysql, I'd call it
drbd_mysql.

  > 5- Check the status

  > # watch cat /proc/drbd

  > 6- Once in sync, create a filesystem on the drbd device (on both servers)

  > # mkfs -t ext3 /dev/drbd0

Only on primary is enough. Don't know if it breaks something to do it
on both.

  > 7- Create a mount point (both servers)

  > # mkdir /drbd

  > 8- Mount the drbd device on it (only on the primary)

  > # mount /dev/drbd0 /drbd

  > Finally, integrate with Heartbeat (which I haven't understood yet either.

It means that you do not ever do steps 3-8 again yourself. Steps 3-8
are ok to learn the basics and play with them, but as soon as
heartbeat does it for you, you let it alone. So

  9 - Let drbd alone because it shall be owned by heartbeat (on
      current primary)

  # umount /drbd; drbdadm down drbd0;

As heartbeat usually involves starting a service that uses the mounted
disk you would now disable that service from being started by the OS

 10 - Disable OS from starting mysql (on both nodes)

  # rm /etc/rc?.d/[SK]*mysql

Talk about the need to prevent your upgrade mechanism (here yum) from
reinstalling those start/stop symlinks.

 11 - Configure heartbeat (on both nodes)

  # involves authkeys, haresources, and ha.cf; see
  # http://linux-ha.org/DRBD/GettingStarted

 12 - Start heartbeat (on both nodes)

This will bring up everything in the desired order and only on the
machine that is allowed to do it: make the DRBD primary, mount the
disk, ifconfig an ethernet alias interface, start mysql.

 13 - test failover (on current primary)

  # hb_standby          # http://linux-ha.org/hb_standby
  # hb_takeover         # http://linux-ha.org/hb_takeover

 14 - test failover (on the other node)

  # hb_takeover
  # hb_standby

  > Am I ok?  One question I had is:

  > I've seen some examples using partition devices instead of disk
  > devices in drbd.conf.  How do they do that?  What kind of partition do
  > they create on the disk to be able to put a drbd device over it?  My
  > example uses /dev/sdb, which is the 2nd SCSI disk.  I didn't create
  > any partition on it, in fact, the partition is the drbd device and I
  > created the FS on the drbd device.  Is that OK?  Would it be better to
  > use a partition instead?  How?

pass

--
andreas