[DRBD-user] drbd split brain recovery - workaround?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Sep 29 15:56:26 CEST 2005

/ 2005-09-30 01:28:36 +1200
\ Jonathan Wheeler:

argl. plain text, please.

> However with the setup that I'm currently running, would you be so kind as to
> point out any pitfalls with the configuration/scripts that I have outlined?
>
> My simple train of thought is that drbd will only sync from primary =>
> secondary when the primary node runs the connect command.
> The secondary (and probably bad) node can't initiate this, so there is no
> danger of a bad node doing something bad, ie, overwriting the real primary with
> my automated script in userspace. (obvious drbd already protects against this
> in kernelspace)

what happens if both are secondary?
what happens if the node with the data version you consider "better"
happens to be Secondary, for a change?

I just suggest you be very careful when doing
 "automated split brain recovery".

you also want to read about the generation count scheme:
 http://www.drbd.org/fileadmin/drbd/publications/drbd_paper_for_NLUUG_2001.pdf
 section 6.3, meta-data.
most of it is still valid for drbd 0.7.