[DRBD-user] Re: secondary need mkfs also?

robert robert at estrell.com
Wed Sep 28 18:56:29 CEST 2005

Corey Edwards <tensai at ...> writes:

> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 16:08 +0000, robert wrote:
> > on the master computer I did
> > drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/hdb1 internal -1
> > then I made the drbd0 a primary and did
> > mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0 so it will take care of
> > the 128 Meta data.
> >
> > Do I need to mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0 on the slave also?
>
> Not only do you not need to, DRBD will not allow you to. The slave will
> receive its copy of the filesystem from the master. Only the master is
> allowed to read or write to the device.
>
> Corey

okay thanks.

I am also trying to find out the proper way to
upgrade to a bigger master primary when the
master computer dies.

Let say we got drdb working fine.
Both drbd devices on the master and slave computer
are 5GB in size.

MAster computer get's turned off.
slave computer's drbd0's become primary/unknown.

now I revived the master computer with a brand new
/dev/hd1 which is 10G.

I did modprobe on the master computer and created
a drbd0 device. This time, I don't have to
mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0 on the master because my slave computer
which is now in the cs:primary/unknown state
will sync all the filesystem
to the master drbd0.

my question is, will the slave computer sync properly all the data
to the new 10G /dev/drbd0 on the master computer?
or will the master's /dev/drbd0 10G will become a 5G
because the slave's /dev/drbd0 is 5G, it is the smaller of the
two? what are the proper steps in this kind of scenario
when the primary totally dies and you put a bigger primary
/dev/drbd0 device and later wanted to make the slave's /dev/drbd0
bigger to match the primary's 10G /dev/drbd?

thanks
robert