[DRBD-user] Kernel Panic

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Wed Sep 28 15:04:43 CEST 2005

> I've found smartmontools to be extremely useful for proactively
> monitoring hard disk health.

And also for checking on harddisk environmental conditions: most smart
capable disks support a drive temperature attribute; I've found
monitoring of that temperature to be quite interesting, esp. if you're
using enclosures / drive bays where you can't monitor the fans.

> The only problem I know about is that it doesn't work with SATA
> drives under the libata driver due to lack of
> support for the needed ATA-passthrough ioctl() calls.

.. Unless you're using jeff garziks patches that add this passthrough
support to libata. Current libata git contains the required functions;
seperate patch for 2.6.12 also available.

I've had good results using these patches.

You'll need smartmodtools >= 5.33, and you have to add -d ata switch.

# smartctl -d ata -A /dev/sdc
smartctl version 5.33 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   033   039   000

Bye, Martin